“To make the Karangahape Road area a safer place in which to live work and visit”
- Educate and inform our community about how to be safe on K’Rd via our “Street Smart” campaign and provide avenues for victim support.
- Work with the New Zealand Police and K’rd Wardens in partnership with Community Patrols of New Zealand. Work alongside these groups as ‘eyes and ears’ to assist in building safer communities.
- Work alongside the K’rd and Newton Business Associations and businesses situated on K’rd and surrounds to create and maintain a safe environment.
- Create and maintain a safe K’rd environment through adequate lighting, surveillance, parking and venues.
- Maintain growth and integrity of K’rd Community Safety Incorporated by acquiring, educating and retaining volunteers.
- Users of K’Rd are Kaitiaki (Guardians), looking after one another.
- Make K’Rd safe where people can go out day or night and enjoy themselves without fear of being harmed
- Develop trained volunteers to patrol K’Rd.
- Liaise with K’Rd Business Association and Newton Road Business Association in regards to the Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED)
- Ensure sufficient monitoring, operation, placement and direction of security cameras on K’Rd.
- Developing a space for people to go to for support around alcohol and or drug misuse, similar to the viaduct safety bus run by St Johns ambulance, Auckland City Council and Police.
- To keep abreast of issues surrounding law reform particularly seeking community engagement about issues of lock down times, closing hours, street lighting and safety and the number of off licensee stores on K’Rd.
The delivery of these outcomes, actions and projects will require a collaborative approach between the community stakeholders including Iwi, K’Rd and Newton Retail Associations, Auckland Council and Auckland Police.